A prosecutor has asked the High Court to order a convicted burglar to compensate his victim, citing the impact of the crime and the need for counselling support.
Zeco Francis Holder, of Madison Terrace, Deacons Farm, had previously pleaded guilty in the No. 3A Supreme Court to entering the dwelling house of Christopher Sealy as a trespasser on April 11, 2020, and stealing a $1 250 ring and a watch valued at $600, and that at the time he was armed with a hammer and a cutlass.
Making her submissions before Justice Anthony Blackman, Principal State Counsel Joyann Catwell stated that the custodial threshold had been passed.
She highlighted several aggravating factors, including that Holder was armed, had his head covered with a black T-shirt in an effort to conceal his identity, that another person was involved, the impact that the offence had on the complainant’s neighbourhood, that the victim’s home was invaded where other persons, including children, were present, that there was some degree of planning involved and that the offence was for personal gain.
She said that the role he played was minor and was mitigating in his favour, while submitting a nine-year starting point.
Noting his ten previous convictions, some of which were similar in nature, and his high risk of reoffending, she proposed an upward adjustment of one year.
Catwell stated that Holder should receive full credit for his early guilty plea.
“The virtual complainant submitted that it is his wish to be compensated for the items which were stolen from him. It is hereby submitted that the now convicted man compensate the complainant in the sum of $3 000,” she said, noting that while the value of the items stolen was less than this amount, it was necessary to give the complainant additional funds for counselling.
“If the money is not compensated, then the now convicted man should spend the period of imprisonment. It is hoped that with this sentence that he will heed and turn his life around as he has indicated that he is on a better path and we hope that he will take this sentence seriously and in future try to prevent himself from getting involved in matters such as this,” Catwell stressed.
The court had previously heard that Holder came to Sealy’s home to buy wrappers and left, saying he would return.
Less than an hour later, Sealy saw his girlfriend jump back from the door, and two men wearing face coverings entered, one armed with a hammer and the other with a cutlass. The one with the cutlass told him “Bring the money”, while the other said “Bring the gold and the money”.
The complainant recognised the same clothing Holder had worn when he came to the house earlier and could see some of his features partially through the large eye cut-outs in the shirt he was wearing over his face.
Sealy then rushed at the men, causing the one with the cutlass to run back through the door, while the other grabbed a watch and a ring before knocking down the television and running outside. The matter was reported, and investigations led to Holder.
During his interview, Holder, who is represented by defence attorney Sade Harris, told officers: “I went there for weed and money,” later saying: “I was under the influence of drugs and I am sorry for my actions.”
Justice Anthony Blackman adjourned the matter until June 11.
(JB)
The post Prosecutor seeks compensation order in aggravated burglary case appeared first on Barbados Today.


