As violent crime continues to rise across Barbados, the Democratic Labour Party is calling for the return of youth engagement programmes, warning that too many young men are left vulnerable to gang activity and violence.
The call follows an attack on a tourist near Carlisle Bay by several young men, which sent the visitor to hospital.
At a press conference at DLP headquarters on Thursday, Senator Ryan Walters, who chairs the group of shadow ministers — termed spokespersons — expressed concern that as the school year ends, many teenagers will be left idle without structured programmes or activities.
He said: “What that means for Barbadians is that there are going to be a number of 16, 17, and 18-year-old youth, primarily men, who are likely not to have nothing to do, but to lime, maybe go on a block and maybe then be in the comfort of what we are here discussing, which is a gang or a group of persons who are not doing wholesome activity. So government intervention is important.”
The absence of summer programmes and limited access to community facilities are contributing to the problem, Senator Walters said.
“We have suggested bringing back programs like the BDF sports programme which re-engages our young men back into a life of sport. We spoke also about the Advanced Youth [Corps]. We talked about improving that and make it more engaging in community work.
“We do not have a lot of summer programmes across the country anymore. I think last year we didn’t have any summer programmes, and that caused a big stir. So there are things that government definitely can do to keep our young men occupied.”
He also raised concerns about restricted access to community centres and recreational spaces in the evenings.
“I visited a community two weeks ago, and one of the first things when I got into the community that was said to me was that the lights turn off at 6 p.m. or 7 p.m. So after a certain time, the lights on the higher courts are turned off. So the young men can’t even play basketball, there are three road tennis courts, they can’t play road tennis.”
Senator Walters warned that violent crime is becoming increasingly widespread across Barbados.
“This reality is now closer to us than ever before. Our communities are under threat. We have been hearing about shootings in different communities that are widely populated with young people and families. Deacons Farm, The Pine. We’ve also heard about shootings in the vicinity of our nursery and nursery schools in our communities.”
Pointing to crime statistics, Senator Walters highlighted consistently high murder rates in the last seven years.
“Over the last few years, we’ve had record levels of murders, 2024, 49 murders reported, 2025, 48 murders reported. And as of today, 2026, I believe we are around 22 murders so far for the year, which equates to a murder a week, pretty much in 2026…we’ve heard that 240 young men have been murdered over the last seven years in this country.”
DLP spokesperson on tourism and international transport Rasheed Belgrave also expressed his concern that violent crimes were now spilling into tourism hotspots and threatening Barbados’ reputation as a safe destination.
Belgrave said: “The country has witnessed several disturbing incidents in prominent tourism and entertainment zones, including the fatal stabbing at First Street in Holetown, St. James; the gruesome murder of three men at Thunder Bay, St. James; and the fatal shooting during the Oistins Fish Festival. These tragic events created fear in places that should otherwise be safe and welcoming.”
Belgrave told reporters the impact of crime extends beyond public safety and could significantly affect the tourism industry and wider economy.
“Incidents such as these not only damage Barbados’ reputation as a peaceful and welcoming destination, but also undermine the hard work of thousands of law-abiding citizens who depend on tourism and hospitality for their livelihoods.”
He warned that continued violence could eventually affect visitor arrivals and public confidence.
“If left unchecked, this pattern of unsolicited and brazen violence could result in diminished patronage by both locals and visitors alike, creating a ripple effect throughout the economy. Reduced visitor confidence can impact hotels, restaurants, transportation providers, vendors, attractions and many other sectors directly linked to tourism.”
(LG)
The post DLP links rising violence to lack of youth engagement appeared first on Barbados Today.


