Now Playing

TAP upset with cashless rollout

Operators in the Transport Augmentation Programme (TAP) are “furious” over the apparent stealth launch of the cashless system, leaving them wondering how they would be paid or even buy diesel.

Chairman of the United Transport Co-operative Ltd, Hudeen Hinds, said he was most surprised when passengers started showing him prepaid cards from last week as payment.

“We are furious with the management of the Transport Board. There’s been talks about a cashless system but we told them we can’t do it because we need cash to maintain our vehicles and put in diesel. Lo and behold, last week they started selling prepaid cards for bus fare without our knowledge. Now passengers are using the cards and we don’t know how we will get paid,” he said.

Government has announced its intention to implement a cashless fare collection system in phases, with the goal of a full cashless overhaul of Transport Board buses by early next year. 

Hinds said his organisation, made up of former Transport Board drivers, represented around 40 TAP members but the changes affected everyone. He said the sensors to read the cards had been installed around a year ago but charged the system should not have been fully implemented without proper ventilation with the members, noting the Transport Board had not held a meeting with them in over a year.

“For the past week this system was working and we have not been paid. The Transport Board has no answers for us, messages left in the group chat go unanswered. Everyday they are collecting money for those cards but there’s none for us. Last Friday, I had about 11 people presenting cards and I had to put in diesel at the end of the day with no money collected,” he said.

Hinds shared the voice notes he made in the same chat. In part, he said: “Good morning to one and all, this is Hudeen Hinds, the president of the United Transport Cooperative. Seeing this update and knowing that we don’t get paid on time when the month comes, there are some concerns that my members have raised to me in regards to these prepaid cards that the Transport Board is operating. These cards will limit our cash flow.

“So again, I’m going to re-emphasise. If I collect 40 passengers who were supposed to pay me cash, and they bring cards and the Transport Board has the money, how am I going to put diesel in my bus? When are we going to get these payments? Why hasn’t management spoken to us about this situation? This is supposed to be a partnership but it seems to always go Transport Board’s way.”

The DAILY NATION contacted Transport Board chief operations officer Lynda Holder, who said she was off-island and redirected the queries to chief executive officer Fabian Wharton. While Wharton did not answer or return the calls or messages, Hinds later said a message appeared in the chat calling for an emergency meeting today with the TAP owners at noon at the Weymouth Headquarters to discuss their concerns. This message was posted around half an hour after the initial attempt to contact Wharton was made. 

The post TAP upset with cashless rollout appeared first on nationnews.com.

Share the Post:
📲 Download the LOUD App
Faster access. Better experience. Tap once and you’re locked in.
🎧 Live Radio 24/7
🔥 Top DJs + Trending Shows
⚡ Instant tap & play
Available on Google Play
You can always listen on web too. iOS App Coming Soon!

#LOUD

Music Submission

Fill out the form below, and we will be in touch shortly.
Contact Information
Upload & Submit