Opposition Senator Ryan Walters was sworn in to the Senate on Friday without a single Democratic Labour Party official in attendance, a striking absence that has intensified concerns about growing divisions under party president Ralph Thorne.
Senator Walters, who contested St Michael North West in last week’s general election, arrived accompanied only by his wife and son — a stark moment at a ceremony already clouded by controversy over the party’s decision to submit just two Senate nominees instead of the four requested.
Confronted with questions about the absence of visible party support, Senator Walters sought to project unity within the DLP, stressing that his appointment was part of a broader collective effort rather than an individual advancement.
“This gives me the opportunity also to identify that while I am the representative of the party in the Senate, what we need is a unified collective party,” Senator Walters said. “Although people might see me as your voice, just be rest assured that we have a party called the Democratic Labour Party which I intend to represent.”
He added that the focus now had to shift away from personalities.
“What we need to focus on is not individual performances, but we need to look at the party in its entirety,” Senator Walters said.
Those remarks came as he acknowledged that the optics of the ceremony had raised questions, particularly in light of persistent rumours of continued division within the party.
Senator Walters said the party’s internal process, rather than any lack of support, explained how events unfolded.
“To be honest with you, as you’re aware, the process that the party went through was that we received a letter from the President of Barbados and we were asked to suggest or nominate representatives that he could use on his basis for his selection to the Senate,” he said. “The executive council met, and the general council of which I am a part was asked to nominate two persons, and we did submit the names of those two persons, and I happen to be one of those.
“And after getting the call this morning, I turned up for duty, and I think I represent the party in this regard. Definitely I am here on behalf of the party,” he added.
Senator Walters said that while the DLP put forward its preferred nominees, the final decision lay outside its control.
“What we do not control is the decision of the President,” he said. “It was a democratic process and that was a decision made across the two councils of the party, and I think the party stands behind that decision.”
Asked whether he was surprised that the President opted for a different route after reports emerged that other parties were also under consideration, Walters said the party had done what it believed was necessary.
“As a party we decided what we wanted to put forward as options to the President, and that was a democratic process,” he said. “I think we are satisfied as a party that we suggested the names of the persons for consideration.”
He said he was not aware at the time that other political parties had also been contacted.
“Personally, I was not aware, and to be honest with you, it didn’t make a difference to me personally,” Walters said. “I thought that we would have been given due consideration at the end of the day.”
Senators Walters argued that the party’s electoral showing justified its continued presence in the upper chamber.
“The Democratic Labour Party contested the election. We’re one of the major political parties and we garnered over 30 000 votes in the last election unofficially,” he said. “I’m sure that those 30 000 persons that voted for us will be more than happy to hear that we have a voice in the Parliament of Barbados.
“In addition to the tens of thousands who did not vote and who would like to hear an opposing view or seek clarity on the bills that pass in the Parliament, I think that Barbados is better for this,” he added.
Senator Walters said no additional party meetings were convened after it became public that the President was not bound to select the DLP’s nominees.
“We were not asked to attend any subsequent meetings since the decision was made,” he said. “It was not an individual decision. It was a collective from the two bodies or organs of the party, and the general council is the highest organ of the party.
“They made the decision to submit two names and they made the decision to submit the names of Comrade Ralph Thorne and myself, Ryan Walters. I don’t think that there is any regret to that decision,” he said.
He described his return to the Senate as a continuation of service rather than a personal milestone.
“My journey to this opportunity again is one that came with a lot of responsibility,” Walters said. “This is just a continuation of that, but rest assured it is in the best interest of the party.”
The appointments follow the Barbados Labour Party’s third consecutive clean sweep at the polls, a result that left Barbados without a parliamentary opposition or opposition leader.
The post DLP divisions deepen as Walters sworn in to Senate without party officials present appeared first on Barbados Today.


