A St Michael minor, who is already on bail from two other courts, saw his luck run out when he appeared for the second time in two weeks before the acting Chief Magistrate on fresh charges.
“This is embarrassing to the court and to me because I was one of the magistrates who gave you bail, thinking you always try to divert young people away from the criminal justice system and several courts have given you an opportunity to have your freedom,” acting Chief Magistrate Douglas Frederick told the 16-year-old male before remanding him to Dodds Prison.
The accused pleaded not guilty to stealing a $2 300 chain belonging to Teneil Stanford on May 15 in the No. 1 Court.
Defence attorney Verla De Peiza told the court that she had no intention of making a bail application for the teenager “on this occasion”.
Sergeant Victoria Leacock objected to the accused’s release, saying that he was currently on bail on a serious bodily harm charge and cannabis-related offences from the No. 2 Court. In addition, she said he had been bailed in April from the Traffic Court on a robbery charge and had appeared before the chief magistrate earlier this month accused of two similar offences and been granted bail.
His release would endanger society, would jeopardise the criminal justice system, make a mockery of the judicial system and affect the public’s confidence in it, Sergeant Leacock suggested.
“The accused has been given plenty of opportunities to reform. He has been given a number of chances and yet he is back here again,” the prosecutor stressed, adding: “His release would not be in the best interest of public order, safety or security.”
Leacock added that the evidence in the latest case was strong, noting that the accused had been picked out in an identification parade.
Admitting his surprise at seeing the teenager back in his court, the magistrate said that it would affect the public interest and public order to again grant bail.
“I am going to remand you in custody also for your own protection,” Magistrate Frederick said, and adjourned the hearing until June 17.
(JB)
The post Teen on multiple bails remanded to custody appeared first on Barbados Today.


