Now Playing

‘No seats’: AOPT ‘snubbed’ in emergency planning talks

Private public transport operators are expressing disappointment after being excluded from a high-level hurricane preparedness meeting convened by Prime Minister Mia Mottley, arguing that the industry – which they say moves 80 per cent of the travelling public – should be involved in national emergency planning talks.

The Alliance Owners of Public Transport (AOPT) said the exclusion continues a pattern that leaves operators scrambling for information during emergencies and national shutdowns while still being expected to assist with transporting commuters and vulnerable people during crises.

AOPT members only became aware of the recent preparedness meeting after seeing media reports, said the alliance’s chairman, Roy Raphael.

“We found out [about] the meeting by seeing it on your medium,” Raphael told Barbados TODAY. “This is not the first time that’s happened.”

Earlier this week, Mottley revealed that she had met with emergency management, security, health, transport, utilities, telecommunications, tourism, agriculture, and community and private-sector stakeholders as the government intensified preparations for the start of the 2026 Atlantic Hurricane Season on June 1.

Images shared from the meeting showed several senior ministers, emergency response officials, and technical agencies gathered around a table, as they discussed national readiness and coordination ahead of the season.

But Raphael said the alliance, which represents private public service vehicle operators, was not invited to participate despite the major role the sector plays during emergencies.

“I want to express my disappointment in the fact that we were not given the opportunity to sit at the table with the government officials when they were discussing hurricane preparedness,” he said.

“This continues to happen, and it really bothers us because we move 80 per cent of the travelling public.”

Raphael argued that while the Transport Board is represented in national discussions, private operators are often left relying on second-hand information despite operating hundreds of vehicles across the island.

“We have to rely on the Transport Board, [which] sits at the level of the DEM and all the persons involved in hurricane preparedness,” he said, warning that the lack of direct communication creates confusion during emergencies and makes it more difficult to mobilise drivers and vehicles when storms threaten the island.

“We don’t want people to call us at the last minute. We want to be able to hear it at the same time as the Transport Board so that we can coordinate our efforts together.”

The AOPT chairman recalled challenges experienced during previous hurricanes and national shutdowns when operators reportedly learned of key decisions through public broadcasts rather than direct engagement with authorities.

He said situations like those created difficulties for operators and commuters alike, particularly for people attempting to get home before conditions deteriorated.

“A lot of our operators were off the road, and it created issues for people to get home,” Raphael said. “We don’t want to do that again.”

The alliance is now seeking greater inclusion in emergency planning discussions before the hurricane season intensifies.

The association was also awaiting a meeting with Minister of Transport and Works Kirk Humphrey to discuss concerns, Raphael said. 

The organisation also plans to meet with petroleum dealers to discuss emergency fuel access for taxis, minibuses and ZRs during storms and other emergencies, he added.

“We would like to have dedicated pumps available that we can access during a storm or an emergency.”

He noted that lengthy queues at gas stations during national shutdowns often create additional difficulties for operators trying to keep vehicles on the road.

Raphael is also proposing the establishment of a national transport emergency committee involving both the Transport Board and representatives of private public service vehicles.

“I believe there should be a national transportation committee that deals specifically with emergencies,” he said.

He maintained that operators were willing to support national response efforts but needed to be involved in discussions from the outset to ensure preparations were properly coordinated.

“We want to get involved at the national level. We don’t want people to call us and tell us something is happening after the fact.”

Raphael added that early involvement would allow the alliance to identify available drivers and vehicles in advance, particularly when elderly residents or other vulnerable people may require transportation assistance.

“We are working closely with the Ministry of Transport and the tree trimming division to provide additional transportation as it relates to moving senior citizens,” Raphael said.

“But if there is a shortage of drivers [on their end], we must know early so we can identify the drivers that will be available.”

(SM)

The post ‘No seats’: AOPT ‘snubbed’ in emergency planning talks appeared first on Barbados Today.

Share the Post:
📲 Download the LOUD App
Faster access. Better experience. Tap once and you’re locked in.
🎧 Live Radio 24/7
🔥 Top DJs + Trending Shows
⚡ Instant tap & play
Available on Google Play
You can always listen on web too. iOS App Coming Soon!

#LOUD

Music Submission

Fill out the form below, and we will be in touch shortly.
Contact Information
Upload & Submit